Key Difference Between Bootstrap 3 and Bootstrap 4
Bootstrap 4 shift from LESS to SASS for source CSS files because SASS is more impressive than LESS. For example, SASS has functionality like logical operators, loops, nested media queries, mixin, class extend, and many others. Thus, SASS gives better comfort. SASS helps you to keep large stylesheets well-organized and makes it easy to share design within the project.
What is Bootstrap?
Why use Bootstrap?
- Easy to use: anyone can start Bootstrap with just basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Responsive features: Bootstrap's responsive CSS adjusts to phones, tablets, and desktops.
- Mobile-first approach: In Bootstrap 3, mobile-first styles are part of the core framework.
- Browser compatibility: Bootstrap is compatible with all modern browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, Safari, and Opera)
Different versions of Bootstrap
- Version 2.0 supports responsive web design.
- Version 3.0 supports mobile-first design.
- Version 4.0 introduces SASS and Flexbox support.
What is Bootstrap 4?
- Bootstrap 4 having new components, a faster stylesheet, and more responsiveness.
- Bootstrap 4 supports the latest, stable releases of all major browsers and platforms.
- Bootstrap 4 switched from LESS to SASS for source CSS files. Because SASS is more impressive than LESS.
Features of Bootstrap 4
- Bootstrap Reboot Functionality. In Bootstrap earlier versions, Normalize.
- Grid System Improvements.
- Major Browser Support.
- Bootstrap 4 Advanced Flexbox.
- Improved Form Support.
- SASS Flexible Performance.
- Introduced New Card Components.
- Responsive Spacing Utilities.
Advantages of Bootstrap 4
- Fewer Cross-browser bugs.
- A consistent framework that supports major of all browsers and CSS compatibility fixes.
- Lightweight and customizable.
- Responsive structures and styles.
- Good documentation and community support.
Comparison Between Bootstrap 3 and Bootstrap 4
Bootstrap 3 vs Bootstrap 4
|Components||Bootstrap 3||Bootstrap 4|
|Grid System||It is based on 4 tier grid system (xs, sm, md, lg).||It is based on 5 tier grid system (xs, sm, md, lg, xl).|
|Button Size||.btn-xs class is supported.||In which their is only .btn-sm and .btn-lg is avaliable.|
|Horizontal Form||.row class is not required using grid in forms.||.row class is required when using grid in form.|
|Inverse Table||Not supported.||In which we can add inverse table with the help of .table-inverse class.|
|Responsive Table||In Bootstrap 3, .responsive-table class added to <div> element.||In bootstrap 4, .responsive-table class added using <table> element.|
|Condensed Table||It support .table-condensed.||It support .table-sm.|
|Responsive Image||Use .img-responsive class.||Use .img-fluid class.|
|Image Alignment||Use .pull-right and .pull-left class.||You can use .pull-right, .pull-left and various other classes like .text-left and .text-center.|
|Structure||For applying dropdown list, we use <ul>, <li>||For applying .dropdown-item we use <a>, <button>.|
|Color||Limited colors are avaiable it support inverse navbars but not other classes.||There are many colors option .bg-dass or .navbar-light, .navbar-dark classes.|
|Jumbotron||.jumbotron-fluid class is not required on full-width.||.jumbotron-fluid class for full-width jumbotron.|
|Lable Pill||.lable-pill is not avaiable.||.label-pill class for making the corner round.|
|Pager||It uses .next or .previous.||In which we use .pager-next or .pager-previous.|
|Class||Use .breadcrumb class against the <ul> tag.||Use .breadcrumb class against the <li> tag.|
|Carousel Item||It uses .item class.||It uses .carousel-item class.|
|Dividers Apply||.divider class to <li> element.||Apply .dropdown-divider class to <div> element.|
Need of Bootstrap 4
Bootstrap has been one of the most trusted front-end frameworks of all time. It has a loyal audience who has been sticking around from the very robust “mobile-first” release of all times, i.e., Bootstrap 3. This overwhelming release holds the responsibility of creating one of the strongest communities ever. It’s fairly understandable syntax makes it highly approachable. All it requires is a basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.