Key Difference Between HTML and HTML5
HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is used to design web pages with the use of markup language. Hypertext defines the link between the web pages. HTML5 was released with the primary objective of improving the World Wide Web experience for developers and end-users. A markup language is used to define the text document inside the tag which defines the structure of web pages. HTML5 supports SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), canvas, and other virtual vector graphics, which in HTML, using vector graphics was only possible by using it in connective with different technologies like Flash, VML (Vector Markup Language), or Silverlight.
What is HTML?
HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. HTML is the standard markup language for documents designed to be displayed in a web browser. HTML is not a programming language, it is a markup language that defines the structure of your website or can be say made of tags
HTML uses various tags, including headings, tables, and paragraphs, to define the text structures of a page. Each tag is defined using the and formula. It is usually called an “opening” and “closing” tag, respectively. For example, if you wish to change a specific text style to bold, you can use <b> type your text here</b> Your browser will render the content via these tags, then display it on the screen.
<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><title>The Basic HTML Structure</title><meta name="description" content=""/><meta name="keywords" content=""/><meta name="robots" content="index, follow" /><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="PUT_YOUR_CSS_FILE_NAME_HERE" ></head><body><h1>The Largest Heading</h1><p>This is paragraph</p><b>This is bold text</b><i>This is italic text</i><u>This is underline text</u></body></html>
The Output of Above HTML Code
- <!DOCTYPE html> Tag used to tell the browser about HTML Version.
- <html> Tag used to define the root of HTML document.
Note: We should always define the attribute of <html> tag for language like <html lang="en">(en means english).
- <title> Tag content show in browsers tab.
- <meta> Tags are used for search engine's crawler to tell the information about the webpage.
- <link> Tags are used to linking any external file to the current HTML document.
- <body> Tag is used to defining the body of document which content shows in the browser.
- <h1> is the largest heading.
- <p> Tag is used to define the paragraph.
- <b> Tag is to represent the bold content in the document.
- <i> Tag is to represent the italic content in the document.
- <u> Tag is to represent the underline content in the document.
Every HTML file start from <!DOCTYPE html> which is declared at the top of document so <!DOCTYPE html> tells the browser about the HTML version. After that we write <html> tag and then <head> tag, inside <head> tag we writes all the meta tags(for search engines crawler) as well as links of external css, js or other files. So mainly there are 3 type of html elements/tags i.e. opening tags, closing tags and self-closing tags.
Here are some valid list of self-closing tags
<br /><hr /><area /><col /><base /><meta /><embed /><param /><img /><source /><track /><wbr /><input /><link />
What is HTML5?
HTML5 is the latest version of the hyper text markup language. HTML5 is a markup language used for structuring and display content on the World Wide Web. It is the fifth and latest major version of HTML that is a World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommendation.
HTML5 includes accurate processing models to encourage more interoperable implementations; it extends, improves, and rationalizes the markup available for documents and introduces markup and application programming interfaces (APIs) for complex web applications. Html5 having new elements, attributes, and behaviors, and a bigger set of technologies that allows the building of more diverse and powerful Web sites and applications.
Features of HTML5
HTML5 announce several new elements and attributes that can help you in building modern websites. Here is a set of some of the most prominent features introduced in HTML5.
- New Semantic Elements - These are like <header /> , <footer /> , and <section />.
- Persistent Local Storage − To achieve without apply to third-party plugins.
- Forms 2.0 − Improvements to HTML web forms where new attributes have been introduced for <input /> tag.
- Server-Sent Events − HTML5 announce events which flow from web server to the web browsers and they are called Server-Sent Events (SSE).
- Geolocation − Now user can choose to share their physical location with your web application.
- Audio & Video − You can embed audio or video on your webpages without apply to third-party plugins.
- Microdata - This lets you create your own vocabularies beyond HTML5 and develop your web pages with custom semantics.
- Drag and drop − Drag and drop the items from one location to another location on the same webpage.
Advantages of HTML5
The advantages of a standards based HTML5 and CSS3 approach are as follows:
- Cost effective Multi-Platform Development.
- Consistency across multiple browsers.
- Good page ranking.
- Better mobile access to Business Intelligence.
- Extension of video to a wide range of platforms.
- Offline browsing.
- A better user experience.
Comparison Between HTML and HTML5
HTML vs HTML5
|It didn’t support audio and video without the use of flash player support.||It supports audio and video controls with the use of <audio/< and <video/> tags.|
|Vector graphics are possible in HTML with the help of various technologies such as VML, Silver-light, Flash, etc.||Vector graphics is additionally an integral a part of HTML5 like SVG and canvas.|
|It does not allow drag and drop effects.||It allows drag and drop effects.|
|In HTML it is not possible to draw shapes like circle, rectangle, triangle, etc.||HTML5 allows us to draw shapes like circle, rectangle, verticle, triangle, etc.|
|It works with all old browsers.||It is supported by the all-new browser like Firefox, Mozilla, Chrome, Safari, etc.|
|Older versions of HTML are less mobile-friendly.||HTML5 language is more mobile-friendly.|
|The doctype declaration is too long and complicated.||The doctype declaration is quite simple and easy.|
|Elements like nav, header were not present.||New element for web structure like nav, header, footer etc.|
|Character encoding is long and complicated.||Character encoding is simple and easy.|
|It is almost impossible to get true GeoLocation of users with the help of a browser.||One can track the GeoLocation of a user easily by using JS GeoLocation API.|
|It can not handle inaccurate syntax.||It is capable of handling inaccurate syntax.|
|Attributes like charset, async and ping are absent in HTML.||Attributes of charset, async and ping are a part of HTML5.|
Need of HTML5
HTML5 coding is clear, simple, and detailed. HTML5 also makes placing audio and video content a breeze. It treats that contain the same as it would with image tags, and this makes things a lot easier on coders because it allows them to include those multimedia elements having to use a plugin or API.